Xossip

Go Back Xossip > ChitChat> No Holds Barred > ATHEIST v/s THEISM a debate (open invitation to King Khan and his followers)

Reply Free Video Chat with Indian Girls

Old 4th February 2010
Custom title

i.love.this is hunted by the papparazii.love.this is hunted by the papparazii.love.this is hunted by the papparazii.love.this is hunted by the papparazi

Old 4th February 2010
Custom title

i.love.this is hunted by the papparazii.love.this is hunted by the papparazii.love.this is hunted by the papparazii.love.this is hunted by the papparazi

Old 4th February 2010
Visit my website

alokkumar79 is beginning to get noticed
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokkumar79 View Post
this is a reality that children of terrorists are guided to become a terrorist by their parents but we do not accept this thing because this is not in our best interests so we all are against this thing. in the same way some people are afraid of accepting that there is no existence of god so they are against atheism. terrorists and even some religions have the potential to endanger the society and human rights but not the atheism. people having belief in some religions are against the people of other religions and of course this same thing happening to atheism. we think that atheism is a religion. this is not true. ATHEISM IS THE TRUTH. and why cant we tell the truth to our child?
one of the above posted pictures reminds me my previous post.
nice pictures.

Old 5th February 2010

denxbus68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Excellent thread, worthy of the 5 stars I gave it. Please keep it up, i.love.this and all other contributors.

Old 5th February 2010
Custom title

Quote:
one of the above posted pictures reminds me my previous post.
nice pictures.
i was confused at this thought atheism being a belief,but this pic. clears my doubt
Quote:
Originally Posted by denxbus68 View Post
Excellent thread, worthy of the 5 stars I gave it. Please keep it up, i.love.this and all other contributors.
Thanks a lot buddy.

Old 6th February 2010

denxbus68 is an unknown quantity at this point
A few interesting articles I stumbled upon today...

Why Atheists Don't Turn to Religion When Faced with Death or Disaster - Greta Christina
http://www.alternet.org/media/145451/why_atheists_don't_turn_to_religion_when_faced_with_death_or_disaster/

Does Atheism Offer As Much Comfort in Death As Religion? - Greta Christina
http://www.alternet.org/story/144989...h_as_religion/

Last edited by denxbus68 : 6th February 2010 at 06:17 AM.

Old 6th February 2010
Custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by denxbus68 View Post
A few interesting articles I stumbled upon today...

Why Atheists Don't Turn to Religion When Faced with Death or Disaster - Greta Christina
http://www.alternet.org/media/145451/why_atheists_don't_turn_to_religion_when_faced_with_death_or_disaster/

Does Atheism Offer As Much Comfort in Death As Religion? - Greta Christina
http://www.alternet.org/story/144989...h_as_religion/

to you and Thanks for such a great article and link

Old 6th February 2010

i am mine is an unknown quantity at this point
Great thread!!

"We do not want churches because they will teach us to quarrel about God, as the Catholics and Protestants do. We do not want that. We may quarrel with men about things on earth, but we never quarrel about God. We do not want to learn that."
Chief Joseph, quoted in The wisdom of the Native Americans (1999) by Kent Nerburn
The in between is mine
I am mine - Pearl Jam

Old 6th February 2010

i am mine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Has anyone checked the meaning of atheism in all popular english dictionaries?
Is every word written in them correct?

atheism (noun) synonyms disbelief, nonbelief, unbelief, heresy, godlessness, scepticism, irreligion, heathenism, freethinking, apostasy, nihilism.
I'm not sure what dictionary you have but too me that seems a little off.

Oxford English Dictionary (OED), Second Edition

Here is how the OED defines "atheism":
atheism Disbelief in, or denial of, the existence of a god.

disbelieve 1. trans. Not to believe or credit; to refuse credence to: a. a statement or (alleged) fact: To reject the truth or reality of.

deny
  1. To contradict or gainsay (anything stated or alleged); to declare to be untrue or untenable, or not what it is stated to be.
  2. Logic. The opposite of affirm; to assert the contradictory of (a proposition).
  3. To refuse to admit the truth of (a doctrine or tenet); to reject as untrue or unfounded; the opposite of assert or maintain.
  4. To refuse to recognize or acknowledge (a person or thing) as having a certain character or certain claims; to disown, disavow, repudiate, renounce.
Note that the OED definition covers the whole spectrum of atheist belief, from weak atheism (those who do not believe in or credit the existence of one or more gods) to strong atheism (those who assert the contrary position, that a god does not exist).
Webster's 3rd New International Dictionary Unabridged

Here is Webster's definition of atheism:
atheism n 1 a: disbelief in the existence of God or any other deity b: godlessness esp. in conduct the doctrine that there is neither god nor any other deity

disbelief n: the act of disbelieving : mental refusal to accept (as a statement or proposition) as true
disbelieve vb vt : to hold not to be true or real : reject or withold belief in vi : to withold or reject belief
Note that again, both strong (1b) and weak (1a) atheism are included in the definition.

Atheist books

One might argue that the term "Jewish" should properly be defined by Jews, and that similarly the term "atheist" should be defined by atheists. So, here are a few quotes from popular atheist books about atheism.
It turns out that the word atheism means much less than I had thought. It is merely the lack of theism.
Basic atheism is not a belief. It is the lack of belief. There is a difference between believing there is no god and not believing there is a god--both are atheistic, though popular usage has ignored the latter.
[Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist, p. 99.
Freedom From Religion Foundation, 1992.]

If you look up "atheism" in the dictionary, you will probably find it defined as the belief that there is no God. Certainly many people understand atheism in this way. Yet many atheists do not, and this is not what the term means if one considers it from the point of view of its Greek roots. In Greek "a" means "without" or "not" and "theos" means "god." From this standpoint an atheist would simply be someone without a belief in God, not necessarily someone who believes that God does not exist. According to its Greek roots, then, atheism is a negative view, characterized by the absence of belief in God.
[Michael Martin, Atheism: A Philosophical Justification, p. 463.
Temple University Press, 1990.]
The in between is mine
I am mine - Pearl Jam

Old 6th February 2010
Visit my website

alokkumar79 is beginning to get noticed
Welcome dear i am mine.
I am using oxford talking dictionary.
thanks for your post.

Reply Free Video Chat with Indian Girls