Xossip

Go Back Xossip > ChitChat> Life, Lifestyle, Personal Advice & Tips > erp systems

Life, Lifestyle, Personal Advice & Tips Post your questions and problems on any subject. Fellow members will try to help you.

Old 26th July 2018

jessica98 is an unknown quantity at this point
erp systems

Hey

Does any of you have maybe your company? I'm thinking about implementing the erp system, but I wonder if it has any disadvantages.

Last edited by jessica98 : 26th July 2018 at 06:28 AM.

Old 26th July 2018

gowindo has many secret admirersgowindo has many secret admirers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica98 View Post
Hey
Does any of you have maybe your company? I'm thinking about implementing the erp system, but I wonder if it has any disadvantages.
Surely not a question that can be easily answered.

Is your company that big ? Is integration that important for you ? Is decision-making in your organization that dependent on well-co-ordinated real-time information ? These questions only you can answer.

Sometimes, if you are small or medium-sized, you can achieve the same effect by having different software for different functions, and having little tools to import/export/sync between them or to build graphs etc. First of all, you need to see whether the problems that are facing you (or being told to you) are really software problems or people/process problems, lazy buggers not moving their ass and doing their job properly.

An ERP (in the true sense of the word) is a costly thing, and often irreversible, after going live with the launch, you can't simply walk away from it and go use another software after 4 or 5 years, without much costs. You should also have really smart people managing it at the top, also empower your managers to put strong processes in place and make them enforcible, if you want to truly embrace the benefits. Otherwise, it can be, 3 years of going-on-and-on implementation, no launch date in sight, newer and newer requirements coming up that never gets done, too much customization, therefore too much AMC to maintain etc. After launch also, this will translate to more frequent upgrade of hardware, software, AMC and you will get sucked into it.

When measuring benefits, you will also be told (a) all benefits can't be quantified (b) Or they will give some projections like so-and-so cost will go down by 30% etc. The benefits may or may not be very measurable, or you should consider whether the benefits projected are just hyped by the marketing team or your own employees who has general fascination for big ideas, but can't quantify them accurately.

If you can afford the resources (right people, not just cost), provide right leadership, get competent and committed fellows and if you feel benefits will match it, then you can go in for it.

Disclosure : I have never implemented an ERP, but I have been consulted on a few. For my own org needs, I repeatedly consider and drop the idea every few years. :-)

Last edited by gowindo : 26th July 2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: clarified

Old 26th July 2018
Aavjo
  Super Moderator: Moderator of all forums      
japs has hacked the reps databasejaps has hacked the reps databasejaps has hacked the reps databasejaps has hacked the reps database
Citrix germany is one of the best.if you can afford, go for it.

Old 26th July 2018
Hypotheses non fingo

thermometer1 has received several accoladesthermometer1 has received several accoladesthermometer1 has received several accoladesthermometer1 has received several accoladesthermometer1 has received several accolades
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowindo View Post
I repeatedly consider and drop the idea every few years. :-)
Pussy. Make a proper participatory plan, get decent designers and implement it.

Old 26th July 2018

gowindo has many secret admirersgowindo has many secret admirers
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermometer1 View Post
Pussy. Make a proper participatory plan, get decent designers and implement it.
Haha, not an implementation issue. Need issue. I re-evaluate the need and decide it's not required yet or not worth deploying the available resources for.